There have been a number of recent studies on mobile adoption in the enterprise, and their findings tend to point to one thing above all else—namely, the ever-growing importance of mobile adoption in the enterprise.
By 2020, for example, Gartner is predicting that 75% of all smartphones used in the enterprise will be BYOD, marking a significant increase from today’s figure of 40%. And a Samsung-commissioned study by Oxford Economics found that close to 80% of the senior IT and business leaders who were surveyed said that their employees could not function effectively without a mobile phone. That rate and influence of mobile adoption naturally has serious implications for mobile printing and mobile print security.
What exactly is mobile printing?
Mobile printing is simple in theory but tends to be far more challenging when it comes to implementation. At its most basic, mobile printing can be summarized as the ability for any user with a mobile device, such as a Chromebook, smartphone or tablet, to print directly to a desired printer with as much (or even greater) ease as conventional printing from a desktop workstation.
Pretty straightforward, right?
Where it gets tricky is that this vision of mobile-printing functionality isn’t always fully supported by traditional enterprise print-management solutions. Finding a robust print-management solution that natively offers universal mobile printing capabilities can be just as difficult as finding a dedicated mobile-printing solution that will integrate seamlessly with your current print environment, including any mix of BYOD devices and legacy printers that you might have.
And that creates a serious problem in the enterprise. For companies that want to prepare their workplace for the future by providing their users with the most up-to-date tools to succeed, this obstacle to implementing organization-wide mobile printing can really restrict the scope and effectiveness of their mobile-adoption strategy. At best, it limits users’ options and flexibility. At worst, it keeps them tethered to an outdated IT model of traditional workstations.
The features and benefits of PrinterLogic mobile printing
PrinterLogic’s enterprise print-management software excels at transforming traditional print environments into next-generation print environments that no longer require nearly as much administrative overhead or infrastructure to enjoy cutting-edge functionality such as mobile printing. Our approach to mobile printing provides users with a simple, highly-available way to print their documents from their smartphones and tablets along with versatile print-release solutions that can actually increase mobile print security.
Some of the most compelling advantages of mobile printing with PrinterLogic include:
- It supports printing from any mobile device. On the two most ubiquitous mobile operating systems, Android and iOS, users can print natively to any designated PrinterLogic printer by simply tapping the “Share” icon. Users on less common and legacy operating systems can leverage proven email-to-print functionality and send print jobs to specific printers via a dedicated email address. This universality eliminates one of the biggest enterprise print-management challenges to deploying mobile printing across the organization.
- It works with any network printer. Is your printer fleet a hodgepodge of makes and models? Are you still using many legacy devices? Those are non-issues with PrinterLogic’s mobile printing, because our serverless software solution allows you to turn any networked printing device, including legacy models, into a printer that’s ready to receive mobile print jobs. That removes the need to purchase special printer models or replace large portions of your fleet.
- There’s no client-side software to install. What should be welcome news to admins and end users alike is that there’s absolutely no need to deploy or install any client-side software on the mobile device. This saves admins from having to invest extra hours in software provisioning, and it removes yet another step between end users and their ability to print effortlessly from their preferred mobile devices.
- End users enjoy flexible print-release solutions. One of the benefits of mobile printing with PrinterLogic is that end users can easily choose where their job should print, which is an essential capability when they’re moving between locations. Of course, admins have complete control over which printers are authorized to accept mobile print jobs, and they can configure these network printers accordingly through PrinterLogic’s powerful centralized management console.
- There’s an app for even more flexibility and mobile print security: PrinterLogic’s dedicated Print Release App gives iOS and Android users even more control over when and where their mobile print jobs are printed. After launching the app, they can quickly view their waiting secure, pull and mobile print jobs and then release them to a specific printer. Authenticating the app once gives users the convenient option to remain securely logged into the mobile printing system.
A proven path to effortless mobile printing
Instead of treating mobile printing like a challenge that has to be overcome, PrinterLogic turns it into a seamless extension of your enterprise print-management capabilities. Customers like Seventy Seven Energy (read the case study here) and the large US-based law firm Hunton & Williams (read the case study here) have discovered that they were able to use PrinterLogic to quickly and easily accommodate the rapidly growing internal demand for BYOD devices—all without deploying specialized infrastructure, sacrificing mobile print security or investing more time in administering the mobile-printing component of their print environment.
It’s just as easy to see if PrinterLogic’s mobile printing is the right solution for your organization. Take a few minutes to sign up for a free trial of our serverless print-management software and you’ll have the chance to test it in your own environment for thirty days.